In the summer, you can maximize the amount of sunlight that enters your home with a sky light. But when winter comes around, you only get a small amount of sunshine so you would want to make the most of every bit of sunlight that you get. Scientific studies have already proven that lack of sunlight exposure can result in seasonal mood changes or a condition known as seasonal affective disorder. It is therefore important to know how to take good care of the custom skylights you have at home in order to allow the maximum amount of natural light.
To start with, you can use weather stripping and caulking. These are two methods that experts advise as for the best ways to maintain and protect your sky light and windows during winter. These jobs can be easily done on your own and without requiring the need to hire a professional. However, there are more steps involved in preparing your windows and dome skylights Melbourne has today that is installed to allow the sunlight to warm up your home. For more on that, follow these tips:
• Preparing your skylight for winter happens even before the season arrives. In anticipation of winter, call in a professional to do an inspection. There might be issues such as flashings and damaged claddings that will be discovered upon inspection. It is important to identify (and fix) the issue before winter arrives. Visit at Custom Skylights
• Remove any debris on the skylight’s exterior. If you cannot do it yourself, or lack the proper tools to climb up on your roof, hire a professional.
• Clean the interior and exterior side of the glass on your skylight. Use a mild glass cleaner and a soft brush when cleaning. Use a lint-free cloth to wipe the glass off after washing the glass. Do not use any object with sharp edges such as knives or metal scrapers as it can damage the glass surface.
• Aside from the glass, it is also recommended that you clean the frames of the skylight’s interior. Use the appropriate cleaning method depending on the type of material of your skylight frame (plastic or wood). You can also hire a professional to refinish the frame. The refinishing process is suitable not just to make the frame look good again, but also to protect the materials from the harsh elements brought on by winter.
• Upgrade your skylight. If you have had your skylight for a while now, the preparation for winter might be a good time to upgrade to an Energy Star-qualified one that guarantees no leaks. This is a good way to maintain warmth inside your home during winter, and also prevent it from being too hot in the summer. It is an energy-efficient type of unit that will make your home green.
Taking good care of your custom skylights Melbourne has today is highly important not just for the investment you make, but also for what it can do to your health. If you need more tips or information on how to winterize your sky light, you can go to http://customskylights.com.au.